In this episode, we discuss if the church music debate is petty and divisive or are there real Biblical principles in play.
Main Topic - 00:07:12
Things we like and don’t like - 01:16:25
New Testament passages dealing with church music: 1 Corinthians 14; Ephesians 5; Colossians 3, James 5:13
Old Testament passages dealing with music: Psalm 40:1-3; Psalm 137:1-4; 1 Samuel 16:23; Exodus 32:17
A selection of some basic governing principles:
- Authority - Proverbs 30:6
- Communication - 1 Corinthians 15:33; Ephesians 5:19a;
- Fleshly and/or emotional appeal - Ephesians 2:3; 1 John 2:16; Romans 7:18; 1 Corinthians 10:31; Colossians 3:2
- Association - James 4:4-5; 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Appearance of evil/separation - 1 John 2:15-16; Exodus 32:17
- Anecdotal/observational. Downward trends observed in churches that embrace the wrong music.
- Technical (music analysis). These details can help frame arguments but tend to be subjective and have little to no Biblical support/authority.
Support the show: